- What is Ethanol? - Bio-Ethanol is proper term for the fuel our fireplaces use, and it is Denatured Ethanol. It starts as an absolute alcohol, produced by the fermentation of sugars originating from agricultural and forestry products; mainly sugarcane, potatoes, bananas, beetroot and recently from cereals such as wheat. In accordance with various global regulations Ethanol (100% alcohol) cannot be sold in its purest form to avoid human consumption. Ethanol producers then de-nature ethanol with various substances for re-sale purposes and it is then called Denatured Ethanol.
- Where do I get Bio Ethanol Fuel? - You can purchase Bio Ethanol Fuel in local Hardware Stores or online @ Amazon and other sites. Here's a link to the best seller on Amazon:
- Is Bio Ethanol environmentally friendly? - Bio Ethanol is classified as being easily biodegradable; miscible in water and when it burns the residual emission is carbon dioxide and water steam. It is completely composed of biological products resulting in a neutral ecological balance.
- Does it smell? - Bio ethanol has substances added to it in order for it to be labeled de-natured. The burning of these substances may cause a slight aroma upon initial lighting and will dissipate with time. There is also a slight smell once the flame is extinguished – similar to when you blow out a candle. This smell will soon dissipate into the air.
Can you extinguish the fireplace before the fuel has all burnt? - Yes, you can turn your fire off at any given time even before the fuel has run out. It is recommended however, that you leave it to burn until it runs out. There is a shut off mechanism for when the fuel is depleted.
- How do you light the fire? - The Instruction Manual that accompanies the product outlines well everything you need to know to operate the unit safely and efficiently. Lighting the ethanol fire is basically 3 steps: dip, ignite, dip – just follow the instructions and seconds later you can enjoy a healthy, warm flame.
- How do I clean the Fireplace Burner? - All of the stainless steel can be cleaned using a soft cloth and some liquid stainless steel cleaner. Once all of the fuel has been burnt and the burner is cool, you can run hot water through it for a few minutes to remove any traces of the Ethanol. It is normal for stainless steel to become discolored over time when it is exposed to constant heat.
- Will the fireplace heat up the room? - Because our ventless Fireplaces do not have flues, this means all the heat generated stays in the room rather than most of it being sent outside as residual emissions. How much heat this is, however, depends on which unit you get, and - of course - the size of your room.